Monday, June 1, 2015

June 1, 2015

Hello to all those in the lower 48!

So I'm in Alaska? Where in Alaska? Soldotna! Someone send me a map because I actually don't know much about 
where it is exactly... It's on the Kenai peninsula! So wherever that is.

So Soldotna is this little fishing town that is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and the weather here has been in the 70s all week! 
Everyone has their fans turned on and are like wow, it's hot! And I'm like, of course!  It's actually perfect, so that's fabulous.

Also, if you're ever in Alaska and want to see really pretty things, just drive from Anchorage to the Kenai Peninsula. It's 
probably the prettiest thing you'll ever see--there's ocean, rivers, trees, wildflowers, mountains, moose, blue skies, and anything else pretty you can think of! I would send pictures, but apparently we'll only be emailing from iPads... Which means I can't hook up my camera :(. Alas, I'll probably just print pictures and send some.

Oh, which reminds me! So I actually didn't get to see any moose until yesterday, which was surprising! But I saw my first moose and IT WAS AWESOME AND ADORABLE! Although it was shedding its winter coat so just a little bit ugly. But a 
cute kind of ugly! And it was really exciting!

Other news... Me and my companion have a truck! It's a brand new 2015 Nissan Frontier, and it's AWESOME. Yay trucks!

So far we've been traveling around and just meeting everyone. Everyone is so excited I'm not from Utah, haha. The ward members here are SO nice, and very welcoming! They also are apparently picky about their salmon up here--there's five different kinds! Kingfish, sockeye, pink, red, and uh... Oops, failed that test. Whoever emails me the five different kinds of 
salmon first gets a prize!

Anyway, life is so good! We've met some interesting people, like one man who has never lived in one place for more than four years, and he's in his 50s! He loves all kinds of adventures and has all these hilarious stories about how he was 
doing something crazy with someone else and they were freaking out but he was super bored, haha. He had been to the Hill Cumorah Pageant before, actually, so we had fun building on that knowledge and then correcting some of his
misconceptions. Just for future reference, no, we don't believe the Book of Mormon was written by a lizard in the desert. 
Not sure where that one came from...

So yeah! I love everyone and thanks for everyone who's emailed me! I only have 90 minutes to email every Monday, so I want to talk to you but it might take a week or two for me to reply, especially because I sort of missed a week between the MTC and traveling and such.

Anyway, love you all! Remember Jesus loves you!

Sister Rollins

3 comments:

  1. When I worked at a seafood restaurant in high school, they were particularly proud of their salmon, but all they ever called it was "Alaskan salmon"-- haha so the many various types are beyond me. So fun she has a truck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Five Main Pacific Salmon, according to (ironically) The Atlantic, are:
    1. King (chinook)
    2. Sockeye (red)
    3. Coho (silver)
    4. Pink (humpback)
    5. Chum (dog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Five Main Pacific Salmon, according to (ironically) The Atlantic, are:
    1. King (chinook)
    2. Sockeye (red)
    3. Coho (silver)
    4. Pink (humpback)
    5. Chum (dog)

    ReplyDelete